Thursday, January 20, 2011

Happy New Year...A Little Late

Happy New Year!

It's been more than two months since I blogged about anything and at this point I would be here for the next few days trying to remember everything that happened. Instead I am going to show you some of what I've been up to through pictures because as the saying goes "a picture is worth a thousand words."


But before you scroll down to the pictures I wanted to share some of the highlights of the past few months:


1) Thanksigiving ADT style at DTF with three token Brits (we even made them go around the table and say what they were thankful for - they didn't like the idea but ended up in tears like all of the Americans).


2) Traditional Thanksgiving dinner at Eren and Jack's pad with turkey and all the fixin's. This might not sound very exciting but I can assure you it was for us because you can't get true American Thanksgiving things easily in HK. Eren even made a pumpkin pie just for me because it's something my mom and I eat together every year. It was quite the multicultural group too - Singapore, Australia, Hong Kong, and true Manhattanites were all represented. Fun times!


3) My first birthday abroad which was spent with great girlfriends and lots of feather boas but ended early because of an awful shot bought by Andy (Petrina's hubby) that nearly killed me. I had to go home at 11pm and was in bed by midnight. Payback is a beeeatch Andy!!!


4) A great Christmas/NYE trip to Vietnam, Cambodia and Bali with the ADT plus LP (one of the BFFs from Charlotte who made the long-haul flight over to visit!) and a cameo appearance by the one and only "Angelo the Aussie" for the Bali portion of the trip. Too bad he was sick with "Bali belly" on NYE and was at home asleep before midnight :)


5) Making new friends in Kath, Keeley, Helen and Susan. I love these UK girlies from London and Scotland even if I don't understand what they say sometimes! These are the girls who took me on my first bike ride around the New Territories and who hiked the Maclehose Trail (section 1) with me a few weekends ago. We are supposed to go hiking and camping on the beach in a few weeks - not sure it will really happen but it should be interesting! I am concerned about the bathroom situation (lack thereof or worse yet a Chinese toilet) but I've been told by Helen that she will teach me how to do it without peeing on my shoes. WHAT?!


And now a few of my favorite pictures.

This is intended for someone who is far away but on my mind. And since this person isn't on FB because he thinks it's used to build stalker profiles I had to include some pics for his viewing pleasure. You know who you are...now consider my "to do" list done!

My birthday "HK style" at the Peak Lookout w/ (from L to R): Jules, Longo, Susan, Petrina, Me, LP and Coops!




 Me and Kath on our Bike trip in New Territories
 Maclehose Trail Hike Section 1
 The very scary (and quite common on hikes and at beaches) Chinest Toilet!!!
 Me and Longo in a Tuk-Tuk in Hanoi, Vietnam
 The biggest beer I will ever drink in my life in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
 Balinese food
 NYE at Ku De Ta in Bali during a torrential rainstorm. Happy New Year!
 An interesting "rock hard" structure in the caves at Halong Bay, Vietnam
 Cambodia Temple
 Dinner for someone in Cambodia - now do you understand why I don't eat pork???
 Buddha in Cambodia
 Angkor Wat at sunrise - breathtakingly beautiful

Halong Bay, Vietnam
One of my favorite pics from the trip

I have to admit that although I am having the time of my life out here I am a little homesick so I went ahead and booked my flight back to the US for a visit in late April/early May. I am so excited I can hardly stand it! I will be in NY/NC/SC and get to be home for my sister's birthday, T-Bone's birthday, and Julie's birthday. How fun!

To the BFFs - we are having a girls night somewhere...maybe the Grove Park Inn or the beach. Deets to come soon in a separate email.

Signing off to get some zzzzzs.

XOXO
Steph




No comments:

Post a Comment